Linguistic IT tools for Danish need access to a large Danish lexicon. The STO lexicon is therefore an obvious basic component in different applications. The scope of application covers automatic and computer supported translation, on-line information retrieval (e.g. search engines), question-answer systems, linguistic aids for handicapped people, programmes for language teaching etc.
The lexicon is also suitable for research within topics of computational linguistics, for example in connection with testing of grammars.
Examples of existing applications:
- The STO lexicon is used in a lemmatizer for danish
- STO data used in machine translation within a specific domain
- STO is used in the search engine of the health services portal sundhed.dk
Examples of scientific use and testing of data for different purposes:
- Developement of prototype for content based information retrieval
- Development of a fonetic resource for Danish
- Testing of a search engine in a multilingual context
- Automatic analysis of complex sentence structures
- Construction dictionary for humans